“PACs corrupt the system. They handle vast amounts of money and the money corrupts.” – Paul Ryan
“It should be the power of our vote not the size of our bank accounts that drive our democracy.” – Barack Obama
“I personally think money in politics on any level is horrible. I’d like to see a set amount and have every candidate spend it. Have it be completely transparent. But actually getting to that spot, as we have learned through all the legislation over the decades, is very difficult.” – Rick Santelli, editor, CNBC Business News
New Mexicans for Money Out of Politics (NM MOP) is a non-partisan, non-profit, grassroots organization.
Our mission is to remove the corrupting influence of money in politics and make the government work for ALL the people of New Mexico and our country.
- Establish public financing for all congressional and presidential elections.
- Enact a 28th Constitutional Amendment to reverse the Supreme Court’s Citizens United, Buckley v. Valeo, and McCutcheon v. FEC decisions. Money is not speech, and corporations are not people. We need to stop Big Money’s undue influence over our elections.
- Ensure that all Americans have equal access to their elected officials regardless of income, corporate position, union affiliation or social status.
- Eliminate the rigging (i.e. gerrymandering) of congressional districts so that every citizen’s vote counts and we are all fairly and equally represented in Congress.
- Require the election of the president by popular vote, either through a constitutional amendment eliminating the Electoral College, or a National Popular Vote Compact by enough states that together represent the 270 Electoral College votes required to win the presidency.
- Establish a national Bill of Voters’ Rights that would guarantee all citizens of the United States an equal opportunity to vote.