“PACs corrupt the system. They handle vast amounts of money and the money corrupts.” – Paul Ryan
“It should be the power of our vote not the size of our bank accounts that drive our democracy.” – Barack Obama
“I personally think money in politics on any level is horrible. I’d like to see a set amount and have every candidate spend it. Have it be completely transparent. But actually getting to that spot, as we have learned through all the legislation over the decades, is very difficult.” – Rick Santelli, editor, CNBC Business News
New Mexicans for Money Out of Politics is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, grassroots organization.
Our mission is to remove the corrupting influence of money in politics and government and make the government work for ALL the people of New Mexico and our country.
- Enact a 28th Constitutional Amendment to reverse the Supreme Court’s Buckley v. Valeo, Citizens United, McCutcheon v. FEC and other bad decisions that took away the authority of the federal, state and local governments to effectively regulate campaign finance. We need to stop Big Money’s undue influence over our elections so that all Americans have equal access to their elected officials.
- Enact laws requiring full disclosure/transparency of and easy access to information about all campaign finance and lobbying contributions and expenses.
- Eliminate the rigging (i.e. gerrymandering) of congressional districts so that every citizen’s vote counts and we are all fairly and equally represented in Congress.
- Enact Lobbying Reform at the federal, state and local levels to eliminate the influence of money and power upon our elected, representatives and eliminate the “revolving door” for elected and other government officials between government and big business..
- Protect and enhance the right and ability to vote by eliminating purges of voter roles and other tactics aimed at restricting voting, establishing automatic voter registration, increasing the number and days and hours of polling places, increasing ways to vote, restoring the rights of felons who have completed their sentences, restoring the Voters’ Rights Act of 1965 and more.
- Enact anti-corruption, ethics and conflict of interest laws applying to federal, state and local executive officials, legislators and judges.
- Establish public financing for all candidates for elected office at the federal, state and local levels.