“PACs corrupt the system. They handle vast amounts of money and the money corrupts.” – Paul Ryan
“It should be the power of our vote not the size of our bank accounts that drive our democracy.” – Barack Obama
“I personally think money in politics on any level is horrible. I’d like to see a set amount and have every candidate spend it. Have it be completely transparent. But actually getting to that spot, as we have learned through all the legislation over the decades, is very difficult.” – Rick Santelli, editor, CNBC Business News
Ourr mission is to remove the corrupting influence of money in politics and make the government work for ALL the people of New Mexico and our country.
- Establish public financing for all federal, state and local elections.
- Enact a 28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution to restore the authority and create the responsibility of government to impose reasonable limits upon political campaign contributions and expenditures and providing greater disclosure and transparency.
- Enact Lobbying Reform at the federal, state and local levels so we, not the wealthy, are fairly represented, and to eliminate the “revolving door” between government and business
- Eliminate gerrymandering (i.e. rigging) of congressional districts so that every citizen’s vote counts and we are all fairly and equally represented in Congress
- Protect and enhance the right and ability to vote by eliminating tactics aimed at restricting voting, establishing laws that would make it easier to vote and register to vote, restoring the Voters Rights Act of 1965 and more.
- Enact anti-corruption, ethics and conflict of interest laws applying to federal, state and local executive officials, legislators and judges.
Pursuant to our mission and goals, NMMOP supports other democracy reform initiatives such as the National Popular Vote, open primaries, ranked choice voting and reform of the appointment process for federal judges.