Join RUNM’s Citizens’ Lobbying Team
The 60-day session of the 2021 New Mexico Legislature opened on Tuesday, January 19. Due to COVID 19, citizens will only be able to participate by ZOOM, phone, email, and text only. RUNM will be advocating for a number of pro-democracy bills during the session.
Here are just a few of the bills RUNM will be lobbying for:
* A bill for public financing of legislative races similar to SB 268 in the 2020 legislature.
* An Automatic Voter Registration bill
* A Redistricting Commission bill to create non-partisan districts to eliminate gerrymandering
* An open-primaries bill
* Several bills to strengthen the Ethics Commission
For these and other pro-democracy bills to become law, we need as many of you, our supporters, to lobby our legislators. Here’s how it will work:
1. Join our lobbying team. Send your email address with your House and Senate districts (if you know them) to our Legislative Action Comm. chair, Bruce Berlin, at email@example.com.
2. When a bill that we are advocating for (or against) is assigned to a comm. for a hearing, we will send you a Legislative Alert to let you know the bill, the committee, the time and date of the hearing with ZOOM info to attend, names and contact info of the members of the committee, and a brief statement as to why we support/or oppose it.
3. To find and read any bill, you will need the bill number or sponsor. Just go to www.nmlegis.gov/Legislation/Bill_Finder and click on the appropriate link.
4. Once you are familiar with the bill, contact members of the comm to register your support or opposition. You can find the contact info for all members of the legislature on our website home page, www.nmmop.org. Click the “home” button at the top left of the page and select “How to contact your state representative” or “state senator” from the drop-down list to find the rep or senator you wish to contact.
5. Let us know the response you receive, if any.
6. Either prior to or at the hearing, you can sign up to speak for or against the bill. When we learn how to sign up to speak, we will let you know.
7. At the time of the hearing, you will be able to attend virtually through ZOOM.
8. If your senator or representative is on the comm., your contacting him or her would be particularly helpful. Legislators listen to their constituents.
9. If you know someone whose senator or rep is on the comm., it would be very helpful to contact that person and ask him or her to contact that legislator.
10. Calling and leaving a message of your support for a particular bill is also worthwhile.
11. Bills are often sent to 2 or 3 committees. So, you may receive more than one notice about a particular bill once a bill is passed in one comm. and goes on to another.
12. Please check your email daily to keep up with our bill advocacy process.
We really appreciate your support and hope you will join us in this important work.
Bruce Berlin, Chair
RUNM Legislative Action Comm.