In order to become law, we need as many of you, our supporters, to lobby our legislators. Here’s how it will work:
1. When a piece of legislation that we are advocating for (or against) is assigned to a particular legislative committee for a hearing, we will send you a Legislative Alert to let you know the bill, the committee, the time and date of the hearing with ZOOM info to attend, names and contact info of the members of the committee, and a brief statement as to why we support/or oppose it.
2. To find and read any bill, you will need the bill number or sponsor. Just go to www.nmlegis.gov/Legislation/Bill_Finder and click on the appropriate link.
3. Once you are familiar with the bill, contact members of the comm to register your support or opposition. You can find the contact info for all members of the legislature on our website home page, www.nmmop.org. Click the “home” button at the top left of the page and select “How to contact your state representative” or “state senator” from the drop-down list to find the rep or senator you wish to contact.
5. Let us know the response you receive, if any.
6. Either prior to or at the hearing, you can sign up to speak for or against the bill. When we learn how to sign up to speak, we will let you know.
7. At the time of the hearing, you will be able to attend virtually through ZOOM.
8. If your senator or representative is on the comm., your contacting him or her would be particularly helpful. Legislators listen to their constituents.
9. If you know someone whose senator or rep is on the comm., it would be very helpful to contact that person and ask him or her to contact that legislator.
10. Calling and leaving a message of your support for a particular bill is also worthwhile.
11. Bills are often sent to 2 or 3 committees. So, you may receive more than one notice about a particular bill once a bill is passed in one comm. and goes on to another.
12. Please check your email daily to keep up with our bill advocacy process.